Home to spacious lakes, wonderful natural recreation areas and with great access to the amenities of St. Paul, Best fun things to do in Shoreview is a suburb that’s worth a visit. Whether you’re flying through the Twin Cities on your first solo cross-country flight, or are in town for some other reason, here are some reasons why you might want to make a stop in Shoreview, MN.
While Shoreview may be a suburb today, it was once home to Native American tribes, the Ojibwe and Dakota, who ceded to land between the St. Croix and Mississippi Rivers in 1837. It wasn’t until 1850, when the first white settler, Socrates A. Thompson traveled from Minnesota’s Capitol to the fertile lands of Shoreview to establish the area’s first farm. Soon thereafter, immigrants from all over started to show up. By the 1880s, the first railroad line was established and the residential and commercial population flourished well into the 1900s and beyond. Because of the population growth in Shoreview and surrounding suburbs like Roseville, Vadnais Heights and Lino Lakes, by the 1950s, it became apparent that the current township was not adequate for the Village of Shoreview. So a citizen organization petitioned the Ramsey County Board of Commissioners and called for official incorporation. In 1957, Shoreview became a city and elected its first mayor. With expansion of major highways 694 and interstate 35W, Shoreview grew rapidly in the last half of the 20th century, tripling in population after 1970. Although things have settled down, since 2010 there have been several redevelopment and renovation projects that are improving the town layout and amenities.
Fun things to do in Shoreview
For residents and visitors alike, Shoreview offers plenty of things to do — take a look at some of the recommended ideas below:
Parks & Recreation in Shoreview
- Shoreview has nine city parks and three county parks to enjoy. Plus, there are seven lakes with the largest being Turtle Lake, Snail Lake, Lake Owasso, Island Lake and Rice Creek which flows through the northwest portion of the city. There’s also the recently opened Skatepark Plaza, great for catching some air.
- Tropical Adventure Indoor Playground is a large, kid-friendly indoor jungle gym that gives you a great place to let the little ones burn off as much energy as they can. The indoor waterpark is also a great place to swim with activities designed for all ages.
Restaurants in Shoreview
- For great American eats and libations in a casual setting, head to Shore 96, located in Shoreview Village Mall.
- Next door, you’ll find Fresh Picked Pizza, offering specialty pies, pastas, wraps, salads and gluten-free options.
- Enjoy comfort food and comfortable vibes at The Winkin’ Rooster, where you can order home-cooked sandwiches, soups, meats and baked goods.
- Come as you are to The Tavern Grill and find classic burgers, pizza, sandwiches and a special Sunday brunch.
- Red Ginger Bistro offers dozens of different Asian-inspired dishes, pad Thai to Chinese fried rice to specialty fish and beyond.
Shopping and Fun things to do in Shoreview
- For those 55 and older, take a look at Island Lake Golf Course & Training Center, where you’ll find various programs and tee times specifically for senior citizens.
- Try a Discovery Flight from the area’s premier flight instructors, Inflight Pilot Training. On this one-hour introductory session, you get to see what it’s like to fly a plane and see Shoreview from thousands of feet above, under the direction of a certified pilot.
Do you want to obtain your private pilot license (PPL)?
Whether you want to experience flying via a Discovery Flight or start with lessons right away, our team of professional flight instructors will put you on the right track to becoming a private pilot. You’ll be at your best, working with the top flight instructors in Minnesota, from your first day until graduation day and beyond. Discover what it’s like to fly — contact us today or call (952) 698-3000.