Just 10 miles north of St. Paul sits the small, active and upscale community of North Oaks, MN. Best fun things to do in north oaks With great access to many lakes, dining and entertainment options, this suburb is well worth the visit if you’re looking for things to do in north oaks.
About North Oaks
The town of North Oaks grew outward from the centrally located Pleasant Lake, with the original purpose of supplying water to the city of St. Paul. The first major settlement in the area was of local railroad titan, James Jerome Hill, who opened his 5,000-acre farm and research center in 1883. The town was named after his “North Oaks Farm”, where the Hill family raised award-winning livestock and grew extensive systems of fruit and vegetable crops. The descendants of James J. Hill still manage the property to this day. During the boom years of post WWII, Hill’s grandchildren, growing increasingly concerned of the urban expansion of the Twin Cities, set in motion a new, planned-residential community. Unlike the cookie-cutter suburban communities of today, however, careful consideration was given to each plot, subdividing into no fewer than 1.45 acres each while fitting each individual landscape. Today, the North Oaks Home Owners’ Association (NOHOA) is a highly sought-after place to live and visit, and the original Hill farm buildings have been restored and placed on the National Register of Historic Places. The modern-day citizens retain the goal of the original North Oaks settlers — to build with respect for the natural environment.
Fun things to Do in North Oaks
While small, there’s no shortage of things to do in North Oaks, MN — take a look at some of the highlights below:
Restaurants in North Oaks
- Some of the best private golfing in the Twin Cities is at North Oaks Golf Club. Find a championship course, with a full-service restaurant and bar, along with a private events center.
- Unlike city lakes, 690-acre Pleasant Lake is a quiet, clean, large body of water that’s great for any type of aquatic activity and conveniently located in the center of town. Head eastward to Turtle Lake, a smaller option, to enjoy a beach and great fishing.
Recreation in North Oaks
- Great for both date night or family outings, Panino’s North Oaks has the Italian comfort food you crave, serving up pizza pies, pasta, plus beer and wine.
- Find upscale Japanese cuisine at Suishin Restaurant, offering sushi, cocktails and hot pots.
- More eastern specialties are found at Zen Asia, located in the southwest corner of North Oaks.
- Tria Restaurant, Bar & Event Center is a stately spot that offers warm, contemporary decor, along with a patio and a menu filled with premier American options and drinks.
- Enjoy a unique fusion of Vietnamese and French cuisine at Orchid Restaurant, in a sophisticated and open-space setting.
Activities & Fun things to do in North Oaks
- Learn everything there is to know about James J. Hill and his descendants since he first settled in North Oaks at Hill Farm Historical Society. There are more than five acres of preserved buildings and learning opportunities, including a dairy, blacksmith shop and granary.
- Experience a one-hour flight course from Inflight Pilot Training that lets you see what it’s like to be a pilot, while experiencing the Twin Cities’ suburbs from above. Team with a professional flight instructor and explore the skies.
Get in touch with Inflight Pilot Training. We’ll help you take flight.
Earning your private pilot license is a fun, rewarding process. If you’re interested in learning what it takes, we can help you understand the benefits of flight school. Simply give us a call or drop us a note to Inflight Pilot Training to get started. For additional information on our certification programs, contact us today or call (952) 698-3000.