Whether you’re visiting Minnesota on your first cross-country solo flight or for some other reason, you may want to consider a trip to Lakeville. Home to Airlake Airport, this strip is great for those that aren’t used to flying into congested, city airports. Plus, there are several great places to explore in and around the Lakeville area. If you’re looking for a way to unwind after a long flight, spend the afternoon in Lakeville and experience the many fun things to do here — let’s take a look.
Although Lakeville is the largest city in Dakota County today, it wasn’t always that way. In 1853, military Captain William Dodd constructed an important road that connected military forts in St. Paul to forts being erected in the south. Even though the captain was killed in 1862, the road still exists today as Dodd Boulevard. Although the area was active with trade, Lakeville wouldn’t see its first real boom until 1910, when Colonel Marion Savage constructed his 40-acre amusement park on Marion Lake and a subsequent railroad access line. This brought more interest to the town, eventually becoming an important center for the milling, agriculture and livestock industries state wide. Lakeville followed a similar path as surrounding outer-ring suburbs like Farmington and Burnsville, incorporating as a city in 1967. As the 21st century rolled around, the population boomed as housing costs in the Twin Cities dramatically rose. And that boom is still felt into today. As of 2021, Lakeville is home to almost 70,000 residents who enjoy its many amenities, including great recreational areas, fine dining and plenty of entertainment options. Plus, it’s just a 20-minute drive from downtown Minneapolis, so you’re never too far away from the big-city action.
Things to Do in Lakeville
Keep reading to find some of the best Fun things to do in Lakeville, MN:
Lakeville Restaurants & Bars
- For great beer, barbecue and other hearty eats, head to Northern Taphouse to cure even the worst hunger pains.
- Try a casual hangout with classic American comfort food, mixed drinks and cheap beer, at Harry’s Scratch Kitchen.
- Experience gourmet burgers along with an extensive selection of wine and craft beer in a contemporary setting, all at Barley + Vine Kitchen & Bar.
- Bring the family along to Buckboard, where you’ll find large portions of traditional diner food with a small-town vibe.
Lakeville Recreational Areas
- Reconnect with nature at Ritter Farm Park, featuring extensive lakeside hiking trails, archery, skiing and snowmobiling opportunities.
- Check out the swimming beach, play a game of volleyball or just lounge in one of the many picnic areas at Antlers Park.
- Orchard Lake Park supplies everything you need for an afternoon of outdoor relaxation, with lake views, beautiful fall colors and a fishing pier.
Other Fun activities & things to do in Lakeville
- For a challenging round on a well maintained course, book a tee time at Crystal Lake Golf Club and enjoy a round of drinks afterward at the on-site restaurant-bar.
- Find something special at Hot Sam’s Antiques & Used Furniture, offering vintage treasures from automobiles to bikes to kitchen tables and more.
- Lakeville’s number one flight school offers a one-hour introductory course, a Discovery Flight, where you get to fly an airplane under the guidance of a professional. Learn more about the lifestyle of a pilot, while seeing the beauty of western Minneapolis from above.
Get in touch with Inflight Pilot Training to find out more about our Discovery Flights.
A Discovery Flight is the perfect way to see if flying is for you. We provide you with all of the guidance you need to feel comfortable behind the control wheel, so you can experience the thrill of exploring the skies. If this sounds something you’re interested in, all it takes is a quick call or note to our team to get started. For additional information on Inflight training programs, contact us today or call (952) 698-3000.