Tucked between New Hope and Robbinsdale in the northwest Minneapolis metro area, Best fun things to do in Crystal is in a great location for both natural scenery and access to many urban amenities. Plus, as home to popular reliever, Crystal Airport, you may find yourself touching down here if you’re on your first solo flight or on some other outing. Regardless of why you’re in Minnesota, here are some reasons why you might want to visit the suburb of Crystal.
Long before Europeans arrived, Best fun things to do in Crystal was home to the Dakota and Ojibwe Native Americans. With the Louisiana Purchase, the Minnesota territory opened to explorers, traders and farmers. By the time Crystal was first founded in 1860, it included land that now belongs to other nearby cities like Minneapolis, the Town of Brooklyn and Plymouth. As the cities drafted more concrete borderlines, the town’s first settler, John Ware Dow helped establish official incorporation for Crystal and, even though it was cut dramatically in size, was able to form a local government. This set Crystal up for success as, by this point in time, large estates had taken the place of small-town shanties, while an affluent population enjoyed a curated sense of privacy, year after year. Throughout the early 20th century, the town became an attractive option for businesses and residents alike, with the addition of many amenities, from schools to public transportation, and even an airport. Shank’s Flying Service opened in the early 1920s, just a mile away from where Crystal Airport is today. When the Metro Airport Commission (MAC) formed in 1943, they officially opened an airport on nearby land just a few years later. This airport was and still is instrumental within the Twin Cities’ aviation community, and the development of Crystal overall, bringing in new visitors from all over the world. Today, Crystal remains a bustling suburb with a number of big-city amenities in a suburban setting, and has been awarded the “Minnesota Star City” designation for economic development.
Fun things to Do in Crystal
If you’re looking for a day of fun, a trip to Crystal is worth a visit — just look to some of the highlights below:
Crystal Restaurants & Bars
- Get one-of-a-kind soul food at Milton’s Vittles Vino & Beer, where you can order burgers, sandwiches and other grilled options from a family-owned establishment.
- For breakfast staples, coffee and other American classics, head to Crystal Café for all-day service.
- Find burritos, tacos, enchiladas and handmade fajitas at El Loro, a classic, vibrant Mexican restaurant.
Crystal Parks & Recreation Areas
- Crystal is a great spot for any outdoor enthusiast, offering quaint neighborhood parks, massive wilderness reserves and everything in between. You can explore more than 240 acres across 27 public parks, plus numerous sports fields, hiking and biking trails, skate parks and playgrounds.
- For those landing at Crystal Airport, nextdoor is Crystal MAC Wildlife Area, where you’ll find an expansive prairieland and lake reserve, as well as extensive hiking paths and a boardwalk — the perfect spot to get away before the next leg of your flight.
Other Best fun things to do in Crystal
- Hit the links at 18-hole, 71-par Crystal Lake Golf Course, where you’ll find well-manicured, world-class facilities.
- Team up with the best flight school in Crystal and fly a plane under the direction of a certified instructor on a Discovery Flight. Inflight Pilot Training offers a chance to see what it’s like to become a pilot, where you’ll experience an unforgettable aerial view and flight over the Twin Cities’ suburbs.
Get in touch with Inflight Pilot Training to find out more.
Our team of certified flight instructors can put you on the correct path toward obtaining a pilot license. Whether you’re interested in taking a Discovery Flight or are ready to get started with formal training, we’re here to help. Gain the freedom flying affords you – all it takes is a quick call or note to our team to get started. For additional information on Inflight training programs, contact us today or call (952) 698-3000.