If you’re flying into Anoka County-Blaine (Jane’s Field), fun things to do in Coon Rapids is just a short trip away, and offers several things to do before you gear up for your next flight. Let’s take a look this thriving city and some ways you can spend a few hours here.
About Coon Rapids
Situated in the western suburbs of Minneapolis, fun things to do in Coon Rapids traces its roots all the way back to one of the first roads in the northern Midwest, Red River Ox Cart Trail. The road, constructed in 1835 and where Coon Rapids Boulevard lies today, was initially used for military travel but soon opened trade opportunities between St. Paul and the new, outer suburbs. As settlers moved in, the late 1800s saw an increasing number of farms along with other industries like brick manufacturing, until in 1898 when the Great Northern Development Company set the plans in motion to construct a dam below the Coon Creek Rapids. Construction on the dam started shortly thereafter in 1912, and with the influx of new workers and their families, the population quickly grew to over 1,000. Since the town was now firmly established, a need for a new local government arose. In 1952, the town officially incorporated as the Village of Coon Rapids and adopted a city council. Just seven years later, it officially became the City of Coon Rapids. Today, Coon Rapids offers residents and visitors an urban setting with excellent amenities, while being just a short drive from the action of the Twin Cities. Of course, the town boasts plenty of things to do itself, including access to one of the area’s many great airports, Jane’s Field.
Fun things to Do in Coon Rapids
Looking for a fun way to spend your time in Coon Rapids? Take a look at some of the highlights below:
Food & Beverage in Coon Rapids
- Muddy Cow: Hefty, locally sourced meats, with a heavy emphasis on burgers, plus sandwiches, fried apps and weekly sports nights.
- Pizza Flame: Grab a classic ‘za of the deep dish or thin crust variety along with a number of pasta options.
- Rose Garden Restaurant: Sit down or take it to go at this no-fuss Chinese restaurant, serving up a familiar variety of traditional Asian dishes.
Recreation in Coon Rapids
- Coon Rapids Dam Regional Park: Get lost at this 446-acre park that’s easily the suburb’s most popular. A wide number of amenities include fishing, in-line skating, bicycling, boating and cross-country skiing in the winter.
- Lions Coon Creek Park: Enjoy diverse natural scenery across 15 acres at this park also offering softball fields, bocce ball courts and memorial garden.
- Sand Creek Park: Home to the area’s most extensive sports complex, like baseball diamonds, skateboard park and hockey rink.
- Bunker Hills Golf Course: Affordable, family friendly option for hitting the links, with a senior discount available, as well.
Other Activities in Coon Rapids
- Urban Air Trampoline and Adventure Park: A large-scale park offering jump classes, dodgeball, event rentals and activities for children.
- Lilli Putt: An enduring tourist attraction with mini-golf, go karts and bumper boats.
- Discovery Flight: Team with the premier flight training company near Coon Rapids, Inflight Pilot Training, to see the beauty of Coon Rapids from above while flying a plane under the direction of a certified flight instructor (CFI).
Get in touch with Inflight Pilot Training to find out more. Our team of certified flight instructors can put you on the correct path toward obtaining a pilot license. Whether you’re interested in a Discovery Flight or are ready to sign up for training, we’re here to help. Gain the chance to take flight and experience the lifestyle of a pilot — all it takes is a quick call or note to our team to get started. For additional information on Inflight training programs, contact us today or call (952) 698-3000.