Located among the natural scenery of the southeast St. Paul suburbs, Best Fun things to do in Coates stands out as a welcoming, small-town community — if you’re making a trip to the Twin Cities, here are a few reasons you might want to visit Coates, MN.
The land around the Coates, Vermillion and Rosemount area west of the Mississippi River was first explored by French-Canadian fur traders in the 1600s. By the time Minnesota officially became a U.S. territory in the 1850s, these rural towns officially opened to further settlement. The population remained small and agriculture-based in its early years, until the early 1900s when the United States Postal Service opened a hub to serve area residents. By 1950, the town had grown large enough to incorporate as its own city, splitting from Rosemount and Vermillion. Now located in the northwest corner of Vermillion Township, residents chose the name Coates after one of the town’s original settlers, G. A. Coates. Today, Coates maintains a laid back, community-driven attitude, with plenty of access to dining, entertainment and stunning natural features — from rivers to lakes to wilderness preserves and more.
Fun things to do in Coates
Whether you live here or are just passing through, there are things to do throughout the suburb of Coates, MN. Take a look at some of the following recommendations:
Recreational Opportunities in Coates
- Get lost among nature at Vermillion Highlands, a research/recreation wildlife area with deer and bird hunting. If you’re just looking to get outside, nearby Whitetail Woods Regional Park is the perfect place hike, take in the scenery, and enjoy various water and snow sports.
- Empire Lake is also located in the Highlands, and is home to Empire Lake Loop, a 3.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail that’s good for all skill levels.
- Head east to Spring Lake Regional Park & Reserve for unbeatable views of the Mississippi River, extensive walking paths, and a learning center for adults and children.
- Leash up your pup and enjoy a day of romping through the woods at Dakota Woods Dog Park, where you’ll find 20-acres of well-maintained grounds, a large hiking loop and an open field for running. Note, you will need to pay a fee, either daily or annually, to use this park.
Dining in Coates
- The top dining destination in town is the marvelous House of Coates, where you’ll find world-famous specialty burgers, Minnesota-broasted chicken, cheese curds, beer specials and a down-home atmosphere.
- Check out Duff’s Tavern on Main in Vermillion and support a popular, family-owned eatery, serving up bar fare, beers and strong mixed drinks.
- Across the street, you can watch the big game with a beer at Stein Haus while enjoying Friday night fish fries and other American favorites.
Activities & Fun things to do in Coates
- Take the day off and go golfing with friends at Emerald Greens. Here, you’ll find two championship 18-hole courses, PGA professional instruction at the world-class practice facilities and year-round tournaments.
- Team with the top flight instructors in Coates at Inflight Pilot Training. Explore the skies and see the world from above, with a Discovery Flight. Aspiring pilots get the opportunity to take control of an airplane, under the direction of a professional.
Get in touch with Inflight Pilot Training to find out more about our programs.
Our team of certified flight instructors can put you on the correct path toward obtaining a pilot license. Whether you’re interested in a Discovery Flight or are searching for other pilot certification services, we’re here to help. Gain the chance to take flight and experience the lifestyle of a pilot — all it takes is a quick call or note to our team to get started. For additional information on Inflight training programs, contact us today or call (952) 698-3000.