The northern Twin Cities suburbs are home to a wonderful little town to visit. Best Fun things to do in Andover, MN is an outer-ring suburb that supplies a ton of amenities, over 400 acres of parks, a bustling restaurant industry and other fun ways to occupy your time. Plus, with its close proximity to Anoka County Blaine Airport, you may find yourself touching down here. The good news is that, regardless of why you’re visiting, there are a ton of things to do before the next leg of your journey.
About Andover, MN
First formed in 1857, and bouncing between names, the town of Andover started out with a small, rural population of just over 300 settlers. First known as Round Lake Township, after the local lake of the same name, the name quickly changed to Grow Township in honor of Union crusader, Senator Galusha A. Grow of Pennsylvania. Alongside neighboring suburbs like Anoka, Coon Rapids and Ramsey, the township saw steady growth throughout the majority of its history, particularly within the agriculture industry. Fast forward to 1972 when Grow Township, experiencing dramatic growth over the past decade, needed to form a more involved government that would provide better public services. As such, the township’s board decided to change the name to its current title. After a revival of interest in the town’s past, stemming from a historic train station, they chose the name Andover. Today, Andover has become well-known as a safe, sustainable and expanding community for residents. And thanks to the many recreational opportunities, quiet neighborhoods and easy access, attracts visitors from all over Minnesota.
Fun things to do in Andover, MN
With a lot of delightful restaurants, parks and entertainment options, there are things to do all over Andover. Check out some of the following highlights:
Restaurants in Andover
- Acapulco Mexican Restaurant: Enjoy your favorite Mexican fare at this laid-back, local chain serving up authentic staples among a south-of-the-border backdrop.
- Kendall’s Tavern & Chophouse: This open-space eatery serves up classic American fare in fashionable, rustic digs alongside Bunker Hills Golf Course.
- Joy Kitchen: Get big portions of Asian specialties like sushi and curry, all in an airy setting.
Parks in Andover
- Crooked Lake: The only fully recreational lake in town, enjoy a variety of aquatic activities from boating to fishing to lounging lakeside.
- Kelsey Round Lake Park: Get lost among more than 130-acres of natural scenery, where you’ll find hiking and skiing trails, plus an environmental observation center.
- Bunker Hills Regional Park: Take a dip or lounge in the sun at Bunker Beach, peruse the Veteran’s Memorial or the activity center at this massive, 1,600-acre park.
- Bunker Hills Golf Course: Recognized as a top-25 public course in the U.S. by Golf Digest, enjoy a professional-level round on the links at this premier club.
- Rum River Central Regional Park: Find solace among nature at this expansive, diverse and amenity-filled park located immediately north of Andover on County Road.
Activities & Fun things to do in Andover
- Bunker Park Stable: Take a horseback excursion, whether novice or expert, enjoy trail rides, group events, lessons and other equestrian-based activities.
- Discovery Flights: For something more memorable, try this one-hour introductory flight course offered by Inflight Pilot Training. Participants get the chance to fly a plane themselves, under the direction of a professional pilot, while gaining an unforgettable view of the surrounding landscape.
Get in touch with Inflight Pilot Training to schedule your Discovery Flight.
We’ll pair you with one of our certified flight instructors as they help you take the controls and fly a plane thousands feet from above. Not only is it a once-in-a-lifetime experience, you get the chance to find out if flight school is right for you. All it takes is a quick call or note to our team to get started. For additional information on Inflight training programs, contact us today or call (952) 698-3000.