Situated in the outer northwestern suburbs of Minneapolis, The city for Fun things to do in Medina is a welcoming destination that provides visitors with an excellent mix of natural recreational opportunities, rural scenery and small-town amenities. If you’re thinking about taking a trip to the Twin Cities, here are some reasons you may want to check out Medina, Minnesota.
The official story of Medina, as it pertains to the federal government’s expansion, officially begins after the area was settled in 1853. Five years later, the town was officially christened Medina, named after the holy city in Saudi Arabia with the same name. Straddling the borders of Medina, Plymouth and Long Lake is a neighborhood called Hamel, whose roots are deeply wrapped in together in the three suburbs. Throughout its early history, the town of Hamel was the location of the area’s school, multiple hotels, houses of worship and plenty of all-purpose shops. After the authorization of Highway 55 along what used to be Highway 52 in 1933 and subsequent construction in the early 1950s, the town opened to a new set of potential residents and business interests, connecting Rockford and Minneapolis. By the time Medina became a city in 1974, things were rapidly progressing for the town. Farm houses that had been in the same family for generations were being sold to make way for new residents and developments, streets were paved and given official names, a police force was implemented and a new city hall was erected to serve the local government. Today, Medina is a wholesome community on the outskirts of the Minneapolis metro area, whose residents are committed to retaining its rural heritage and recreational preserves, while welcoming new residential and business opportunities.
Fun things to do in Medina
With a variety of restaurants, recreational opportunities and other activities, there are fun things to do throughout the city of Medina – just look to some of the following options:
- Robert’s Craft Kitchen & Bar: A hip atmosphere and even hipper dishes will greet you at this upscale, modern restaurant serving one-of-a-kind lunches, dinners and bar options.
- Peg’s Countryside Café: Enjoy classic, home-cooked breakfasts and pies at this quintessential local diner. Try the drive through if you’re in a hurry.
- Choo Choo Restaurant:Tucked within the “island” city of Loretto up in the northwest corner of Medina is this neighborhood eatery in a historic setting and featuring more railroad/train décor than you may ever want to see.
Medina Parks & Recreational Areas
- Baker Park Reserve: Explore more than 2,700 acres of wilderness, spend the night at one of the many campsites, boat on the connected Lake Independence or try your hand at golf — there’s so much to do you may not be able to cover it all in one day!
- Wolsfeld Woods Scientific and Natural Area: Walking among the old-growth maple, birch, pine and other tree species at this park makes for a great outing with friends and family.
- Medina Golf & Country Club: Some of the best golfing in Minnesota is at this premier golf course, offering impeccable maintenance on their championship greens and challenging fairways.
Other Fun Things to do in Medina, MN
- Medina Entertainment Center: Enjoy music and other live entertainment, along with private event rooms, a 12-lane bowling alley, and on-site eating and boozing at this expansive venue.
- Spring Farm Sanctuary: Learn what it takes to rescue farm animals and how this unique rescue organization does their part. With weekly, hour-long tours on Saturdays, as well as special events throughout the year, you get to interact with animals up close while learning more about their stories.
- Discovery Flight with Inflight Pilot Training: Minnesota’s best flight school offers an unforgettable, one-hour beginner course, where you get to fly small aircraft under the direction of a professional instructor. Find out how to live like a pilot while experiencing an aerial view of Medina from thousands of feet above.
Get in touch with Inflight Pilot Training to find out more about our flying programs.
Whether you’ve always dreamt of flying, or you’re searching for higher-level certifications, let our team of certified flight instructors (CFIs) take you under our wing. We can provide you with the right plan to reach the certification you wish — all it takes is a quick call or note to our team to get started. For additional information on Inflight training programs, contact us today or call (952) 698-3000.