Whether you’re a pilot flying through Minnesota or are visiting for another reason, A stop Fun things to do in Winsted may be well worth your time. As the home of Winsted Airport, and with its close proximity to the Twin Cities, it’s a great place to spend an afternoon whether you’re touching down here or just looking for a new place to explore. Let’s take a look at some of the fun things to do in Winsted, from recreation to dining to entertaining activities and beyond.
About Winsted, MN
The town of Winsted retains much of the rugged, small town charm that it was founded on back in 1857. Originally popular among fur traders, hunters and trappers, the area attracted a number of settlers that were willing to brave the untamed wilderness known as the Big Woods in search of a better life. Eli Lewis, whose brother Isaac was famous for investing in several area suburbs like Watertown, platted the town on the back of soap and potash factories. With a new population of laborers, the town flourished and by the 1900s, Winsted had implemented an electrical grid, telephone system, city hall, public school and many places of worship. Even more people showed up after the arrival of the Electric Shortline Railroad in 1915, as well as the construction of the Gopher State Canning Factory, Pure Milk Produce, Winsted Farmers Elevator and Winsted Telephone Company in the following years. Throughout the world wars, population remained steady until the end of the 1950s when the town erected St. Mary’s Home and Hospital and Winsted Municipal Airport, the first airstrip in McLeod County. Today, Winsted has welcomed many new industries into its commerce sector, built a new city hall and has added several home developments, without affecting many of the historic parts of town. By all accounts, you shouldn’t have trouble finding entertainment in this cozy suburb.
Fun things to do in Winsted
There is no shortage of things to do in Winsted, MN — just look to some of the following recommendations:
Recreational Areas in Winsted
- Winsted Lake, though shallow, is great for fishing, kayaking, canoeing and just lounging on the beach. Several parks dot the shoreline, including the larger County Park Number Three, and the smaller Monument Park. Other popular lakes in Winsted include Lake 375-acre Lake Ann and the 190-acre Lake Mary, both on the north side of town.
- Other smaller city parks are located around downtown Winsted, including Barrett Field with a baseball complex, Hanlin Park with a veteran’s memorial and South View Park which offers access to the Luce Line State Trail.
Restaurants and Bars in Winsted
- From wings to patty melts to burgers and other delicious fried fare, head to the local haunt known as V’s Grill.
- Blue Note Restaurant is great for a laidback night out with your significant other or best friends, gathered around a performance stage watching local acts.
- For your coffee fix, head to Crazi, where you’ll find a bevy of hot drinks, along with breakfast fare and to-go snacks.
Activities Fun Things To Do In Winsted
- Get your fix of twang at Winstock Country Music Festival, an annual party that attracts people from all over the country and the industries most popular acts.
- Try something exciting with a Discovery Flight from the area’s premier flight school, Inflight Pilot Training. This one-hour introductory session puts you behind the controls of an airplane to learn what it’s like to fly, all under the direction of a professional pilot.
Are you interested in obtaining a private pilot license (PPL)? Get in touch with our crew of certified flight instructors (CFIs), and we’ll prepare a learning plan personalized to your needs. You’ll rest easy knowing that you have the top flight training team in Winsted working with you, every step of the way. Find out what it’s like to take flight — contact us today or call (952) 698-3000.