If you’re a pilot who happens to be flying through Minnesota, A visit to Fun things to do in Vadnais Heights for some well-earned rest and relaxation may be well worth it. Thanks to its central location to many wonderful airports within the Twin Cities, including St. Paul Downtown, Anoka County-Blaine, and even White Bear Lake Seaplane Base, it’s an accessible suburb with many fun areas to explore. For those traveling to the Minneapolis/St. Paul metro, here are some reasons to make a stop in Vadnais Heights.
About Vadnais Heights
Although today it’s a thriving, first-ring suburb, the suburb of Vadnais Heights certainly didn’t start out that way. First founded as a French-Canadian settlement in the 1840s, it was originally a part of the larger White Bear Township area, that also encompassed towns like Mahtomedi and Dellwood, among others. One of the area’s biggest attractions was, and still is, Vadnais Lake. It’s well-known around Minnesota for its untouched beauty and fantastic fishing opportunities. And, while that drew many people to the area originally, it wasn’t until the 1950s that the population was large enough to incorporate as the Village of Vadnais Heights and the 1970s for it to become an official city. With the development of key interstate systems between St. Paul and the reset of the eastern suburbs, as well as new commercial growth along County Road E, Vadnais Heights transformed from a small rural town to a flourishing community of 14,000 residents. Since the early days, the city has grown into a popular suburb to both live in and visit, thanks to the many amenities — from fine dining to entertainment to recreation and beyond.
Fun things to Do in Vadnais Heights
If you’re making the trip to Vadnais Heights, here are some of the most popular things to experience — take a look below:
Bars and Eateries in Vadnais Heights
- Catch the big game at Sak’s Sports Bar, where you can also try your hand at volleyball or just hang out on one of the multiple patios.
- Punch Pizza offers some of the best wood-fired pizza in the Twin Cities, in a no-fuss counter-serve environment.
- Find your comfort zone at Jimmy’s Food & Drink, serving up bar fare like pizza, wings and frequent happy hours.
- Enjoy a beer, pub food, outdoor patio and frequent rotation of live music acts at Macalouso’s Roadhouse off Labore Road.
- One of the Twin Cities’ most successful small-chain pizzerias is Red’s Savoy, offering a smattering of pies and hoagies loaded with toppings.
- For authentic Mediterranean fare, look no further than Black Sea Restaurant, where you’ll find an enormous menu full of Turkish offerings.
- Your newest favorite dive bar is the Old Clover Inn, where the drinks are strong, the music is loud, and events like karaoke and pool tournaments are frequent.
Recreational Areas in Vadnais Heights
- Take in the view of the picturesque shoreline while walking along Vadnais Snail Lakes Regional Park Trail. Part of the paved trail system cuts through the east and west sides of Lake Vadnais, while the lower portion runs through dense woodlands and wetlands.
- There are several smaller neighborhood parks in Vadnais Heights — a few of the more popular include 18-acre Bridgewood Park, 28-acre Heritage Park and 29-acre Kohler Meadows Park.
- Check out the town’s namesake lake for any sort of aquatic activities you’re in the mood for. Head to Vadnais Lake for fishing, birdwatching, canoeing, hiking or just lounging by the water.
Other Fun things to do in Vadnais Heights
- Try your hand at some golf at North Oaks Golf Club, a premier 18-hole course designed by famous architect Stanley Thompson in 1950.
- Try something new with a Discovery Flight from the area’s premier pilot training school, Inflight. This one-hour introductory course supplies you with a first-hand experience of what it’s like to fly a plane. Our certified flight instructors (CFIs) are there to guide you along, while you explore the skies from thousands of feet above.
Get in touch with Inflight Pilot Training to find out more about our flying programs.
Whether you have always wanted to become a pilot or are searching for a higher level of certification, let our team of flight instructors take you under our wing. We’ll develop a personalized approach so you can get started off on the right foot toward obtaining a license — all it takes is a quick call or note to our team to get started. For additional information on Inflight training programs, contact us today or call (952) 698-3000.