Best Fun things to do in St. Bonifacius was Located just a short drive from all of the action in the western Minneapolis Suburbs, as well as the massive Lake Minnetonka to downtown Minneapolis — and not to mention the many fun things to do in the town itself — making the trip to St. Bonifacius is well worth your time. Whether you’re flying over the Midwest on your first solo cross-country flight, or are in town for some other reason, here are some things you won’t want to miss in St. Bonifacius, MN.
St. Bonifacius has close ties with neighboring Mound and Victoria, however, this suburb has its own unique, fascinating background. Starting with a name no more unique than a small lake in Minnesota, “German Home”, the town was first settled by two Bavarian brothers, John and Joey Maerz, who staked their claims in 1854. When the U.S. government established an official post office in the area, and named it St. Bonifacius, it started a long and chaotic history that continued well into the 20th century. The town was officially incorporated in 1904, with a large (at least in the standards of those days) agricultural population of just under 250, primarily made up of a mix of Germans and Pennsylvanians. By this point, St. Bonifacius had a lot going for it — from a hardware store to hotel to bank to general store and more, this was a thriving era for the people of the town. The Great Northern Railroad was constructed in the early 1900s, bringing with it even more industrial development, like establishing the home of the largest canning factory in the Midwest. Good times had to come to an end though, and by the Great Depression of the 1930s, the town saw a lot of business abandoned and shuttered, bringing a stagnated community that didn’t once again grow until well after World War II. The suburb never quit, however, and has since come roaring back. Today, St. Bonifacius retains its true, small-town feeling, with it’s just one-square mile radius and a mostly rural population of 2,500.
Fun things to do
For residents and visitors alike, St. Bonifacius offers plenty of things to do — take a look at some of the recommended ideas below:
Parks & Recreation in St. Bonifacius
- Although comprising just 30 acres, there are nine parks in the suburb of St. Bonifacius worthy of any recreational enthusiast’s time. Find amenities like barbecue areas and picnic pavilions, hiking and biking trails (including fantastic access to the extensive Dakota Rail Regional Trail), playgrounds for kiddies, wide open green spaces for just passing time, and almost everything else you’re looking for.
Restaurants in St. Bonifacius
- Find the cream of the crop in terms of local fare at St. Boni Bistro, a popular establishment known for its organic comfort foods.
- The Crossbar is an affordable, tasty, classic small-town bar, serving up an expected menu and an extensive list of cheap beers.
- Get your caffeine fix or grab a quick snack at the areas’ premier coffee house, Mocha Monkey.
- If there’s nothing you enjoy more than fresh cuts of protein, head to the local butcher, Cathy Mackenthun Meats & Deli, for steaks, beef, poultry and everything else that used to have a pulse.
Shopping and Fun things to do in St. Bonifacius
- If you’re gearing up for a big bike ride on one of the many bike trails throughout St. Bonifacius, then don’t forget to tune-up the ‘ol two-wheel at the local bike shop, Spokes.
- Catch a show at a Minnesota classic, Grumpy’s On Main, where you’ll find great acts like The Mixed Brew Band, who pump out oldies and contemporary hits alike.
- Try a Discovery Flight from the area’s premier flight instructors, Inflight Pilot Training. On this one-hour introductory session, you get to see what it’s like to be a pilot by actually flying a plane yourself, thousands of feet above the Minneapolis suburbs — under the direction of a professional, of course.
Do you want to obtain your private pilot license (PPL)?
Whether you want to experience flying via a Discovery Flight or start with lessons right away, our team of professional flight instructors will put you on the right track to becoming a private pilot. You’ll be at your best, working with the top flight instructors in Minnesota, from your first day until graduation day and beyond. Discover what it’s like to fly — contact us today or call (952) 698-3000.