The expansive suburb of Fun things to do in Ramsey, located in the northern part of the Twin Cities, is a great place to live, work and visit. Thanks to its scenic natural spaces, access to big-city amenities and proximity to both Downton Minneapolis and St. Paul, you can spend a day getting lost in this vibrant suburb.
If you’re thinking about making the trip to Fun things to do in Ramsey, MN, here are some of the top sights to see.
About Ramsey, MN
Ramsey has an interesting background that’s closely related to neighboring Rogers and Anoka. The first settlement along the Mississippi River planted the roots of the town’s backstory, all the way to before Minnesota was founded as a state in 1858. Taking its name from Governor Ramsey and the eponymous steamboat that carried many of the town’s original settlers, a suburb was born. Because of its location amongst abundant natural resources, the locale boomed in the milling, agriculture and fishing industries. Many of the town’s famous structures that still stand today were constructed in the second half of the 1800s, including Old Ramsey Town Hall which is a part of the National Register of Historic Places. Though the town of Ramsey had all the basic amenities of early small-town America, the population remained steady throughout much of the first half of the 20th century and even through the boom years of the late 1940s, 50s and early 60s. When Minnesota declared that all townships must incorporate as cities in 1974, the City of Ramsey officially earned its modern-day title. Today, Ramsey maintains a great rural-suburban feel with a larger population for an outer-ring suburb of approximately 25,000. Much of the local tourist trade is dominated by the area’s two massive rivers, the Rum and Mississippi. But there’s more than just rivers to explore in this unique city.
Fun things to do in Ramsey, MN
Ramsey is well-known for its wide-ranging public park system, outstanding dining and entertainment options, among other things – take a look at some of the best options below:
Restaurants in Ramsey
- Outpost: Unique eats including the plant-based Beyond Burger, make this buoyant spot perfect for drinking, eating, live music and poker.
- Kitchen Table: Out-of-the-ordinary is the norm at this restaurant serving up hard-to-find entrees like crab cakes, flatbread pizzas and lobster mac and cheese.
- Acapulco Restaurant: Check out the best of local Mexcian at this small chain offering up classic south-of-the-border cuisine and a large offering of margaritas.
- Ginger Café: For Southeast Asian fare, there’s no place better — check out the curry, stir fry and other options from Thailand, China, Vietnam and Laos.
Public Parks in Ramsey
- Alpine Park & Off-Leash Dog Area: Head to this quaint park in central Ramsey to explore open spaces, enjoy baseball and football fields, a skatepark, and an enclosed area for your dog to get some exercise.
- The Draw: Offering an outdoor concert venue, several ponds, waterfalls, paths, local greenery and flowers, you won’t get bored exploring this public park.
- Sunfish Lake Park: With a paved path for walking, rollerblading and biking, along with scenic outlooks over the Grass Lake, this is the perfect place to get away from it all.
Other Entertaining & Fun Things to do in Ramsey
- Oliver Kelley Farm: Take a trip out to this rural destination to find out what it’s like to be a farmer. Mimicking a traditional 1860s farm, visitors can try their hand at the educational lab and kitchen, browse the visitor center and gift shop, enjoy walking trails and much more.
- Discovery Flight: The number one flight school near Ramsey, MN is Inflight Pilot Training. Partner with a certified instructor and experience the thrill of flying an airplane on this one-hour beginner course. Not only that, you’ll get to see the beauty of the Twin Cities and its surrounding suburbs from above.
Get in touch with Inflight Pilot Training to find out more.
Our team of professional pilots will put you on the correct path toward obtaining a pilot license. Whether you’re interested in a Discovery Flight, are ready to sign up for official lessons or need more advanced certification, we can help. Gain the chance to take flight and experience the lifestyle of a pilot — all it takes is a quick call or note to our team to get started. For additional information on Inflight training programs, contact us today or call (952) 698-3000.