Best Fun things to do in Prior Lake Located about 25 miles southwest of the Twin Cities, the suburb of Prior Lake is a popular place to live and visit for those looking for a fun mix of things today. With its namesake lake, quaint downtown area, and several bigger attractions like casinos and event venues, this suburb has plenty to do for a fun weekend away. If you’re thinking about rerouting your flight plan over this popular, fast-growing suburb, here are some of the things that should top your to-do list.
About Prior Lake
Named of course after the large lake at its center, Prior Lake was founded in 1891. Prior Lake is actually divided into two lakes: Upper and Lower Prior Lake. Put together, the lake is the largest in the southwest metro, with just over 20 miles of shoreline, and its size ranks number 80 of Minnesota’s 10,000 plus lakes. It’s important to note as well that Shakopee Mdewakanton Sioux Community (SMSC) tribal lands overlap portions of the city of Prior Lake. This group is part of the sovereign Native American tribe of Mdewakanton Dakota people, and they maintain authority over its membership, lands, and government affairs. Prior Lake is a popular place to live for many people who still commute to the Twin Cities for work. Because of the appeal of living on or near a lake and small-town appeal, as well as convenient highway access, the town is popular for people who want to enjoy some of Minnesota’s famed lakes, but still enjoy the suburban lifestyle.
Fun things to do in Prior Lake, MN
This city has plenty to do – either for a day trip or a weekend getaway. Here are some of the top things to do in Prior Lake, MN.
Recreational Areas in Prior Lake
- Of course topping our list is the namesake Prior Lake. The lake has two public beaches and two public access points for boaters. Lakefront Park is a large park located on Upper Prior Lake and offers trails, playgrounds, fishing, and is also home to the annual Lakefront Music Fest.
- For those looking to get outside away from the lake, Spring Lake Regional Park offers 374 acres of forest with walking trails along quiet creeks and wetlands, as well as an off-leash dog park.
- If you’re looking for a day on the links, The Wilds Golf Club is a great spot for sweeping high-quality greens for golfers of all skill levels.
Restaurants and Bars in Prior Lake
- When you want lakeside views and dining, you can’t beat Charlies on Prior. With two levels of patio dining right on the waterfront, this favorite serves up American classics, and of course walleye dishes for those looking for an authentic lakeside experience.
- Combining the love of the lake and a love of craft beer, Boathouse Brothers Brewers offer a large locally owned brewery and taphouse.
- Located in the quaint downtown area of Prior Lake, local favorite Edelweiss Bakery makes freshly made breads, pastries and cakes, as well as breakfast sandwiches and quiches.
Shops And Fun things to do in Prior Lake
- Also located in Prior Lake are two popular casinos: Mystic Lake and Little Six, both owned and operated by the SMSC. The larger of the two, Mystic Lake, is a popular gaming destination as well as a hotel. It also has an entertainment venue that attracts popular music acts, comedians and other entertainers.
- Located in the downtown area of Prior Lake, you’ll find a number of small businesses and boutiques perfect for an afternoon of shopping. Favorites like Wild Ruffle offer clothing and home decor, while other favorites like Olive Moon is another boutique to find clothing, gifts, and more.
- Try something new with a Discovery Flight, where you get to pilot a small aircraft yourself, under the direction of a professional. Team with Inflight Pilot Training, Prior Lake’s top flight school, and see what a day in the life of a pilot is like.
Do you want to become a licensed private pilot?
Whether you want to try out flying first via a Discovery Flight or start training immediately, our team of certified flight instructors (CFIs) will put you on the right track to becoming a licensed pilot. With our personalized approach and commitment to satisfaction, we guarantee that you’ll feel better under our wings. Discover what it’s like to be a pilot and explore the skies — contact us today or call (952) 698-3000.