If you’re a pilot who’s stopping through South St. Paul Airport/Fleming Field, you’ll likely be flying right over the town for fun things to do in Inver Grove Heights. If you’re looking for some rest and relaxation before the next leg of your journey, there are plenty of ways to stay entertained with a trip here. Let’s take a look at some of the top things to do in the bustling suburb of Inver Grove Heights, MN — here we go!
About Inver Grove Heights
Located along the scenic Mississippi River, Inver Grove Heights is a town that’s full of natural beauty. And, landing at Fleming Field, coming in along the massive river valley below, is an adventure in and of itself that any pilot is sure to enjoy. Because of its location, the history of Inver Grove Heights is closely connected to the river and its function within the trade industry. Settled at the same time as surrounding suburbs, Eagan and West St. Paul, the area thrived as an important shoreline stop, soon developing key town infrastructure like a post office, several hundred acres of farmland and Chicago Great Western Railroad station in the last half of the 1800s. As of 1909, the village of Inver Grove was officially incorporated, combining the names of the Irish village of Inver and the German town of Grove. The area remained mostly rural land dedicated to trade and agriculture, until the new village of Inver Grove Heights was incorporated in 1965, absorbing both the village of Inver Grove and Inver Grove Township. Today, Inver Grove Heights remains a popular suburb for both residents and visitors, with a good population size of about 33,000, plenty of public amenities and explorable neighborhoods.
Fun things to do in Inver Grove Heights
If you’re visiting Inver Grove Heights, here are some of the top things to do around the city — take a look below:
Recreation Areas in Inver Grove Heights
- Along the Mississippi, there are several scenic parks to enjoy, including River Heights, River Road Memorial and Heritage Village. These provide lookout areas over the imposing valley, hiking trails and picnic areas, as well as other basic park amenities.
- For a thrilling mountain biking experience, check out Salem Hills Park on the west side of town, with a semi-rugged yet relaxed trail system in a wooded setting.
- A different kind of park, but a park nonetheless, is located right at the junction of highways 55 and 52. Inver Grove Heights Skatepark offers all the kickers, rails, boxes and pipes you need to shred.
Restaurants & Bars Areas in Inver Grove Heights
- For classic yet creative burgers, where the big game is always on, head to B-52 Burgers and Brew to get your fill.
- Kick back with greasy, casual, American-style eats in river-side digs at Mississippi Pub. Check out their award-winning burger, the Pork and Pineapple.
- Inver Grove Brewing Co serves up hand-crafted beer, plus a full bar, meals and appetizers, and a buzz-worthy patio.
Fun things to do in Inver Grove Heights
- Fans of history and/or architecture will love the Rock Island Swing Bridge, an important landmark that once served the town’s railroad system, but has since been turned into a pedestrian path.
- Inver Wood Golf Course is home to the area’s best golfing, offering almost 7,000 yards of total play area and a full 18-holes.
- The team at Inflight Pilot Training has a wide range of offerings for pilots and aspiring pilots, alike. With a Discovery Flight, for instance, you get to take the controls of a plane and experience the thrill of flying yourself under direction of a professional — all while taking in a breathtaking aerial view of Inver Grove Heights below.
Get in touch with Inflight Pilot Training to find out more about our flying programs.
Whether you’ve always dreamt of flying, or you’re searching for higher-level certifications, let our team of certified flight instructors (CFIs) take you under our wing. We can provide you with the right plan to reach the certification you wish — all it takes is a quick call or note to our team to get started. For additional information on Inflight training programs, contact us today or call (952) 698-3000.