One of Best Fun things to do in Carver Minnesota’s most welcoming communities is located in the small suburb of Carver. Whether you live here, or are just stopping through on your first solo cross-country flight, there are all sorts of Fun things to do in Carver, MN — let’s take a look!
Along with other Minnesota River towns, like nearby Shakopee and Eden Prairie, Carver became a major trade and immigration stop for those in the central part of the state. Named after explorer Jonathon Carver, famous for his adventures through the Mississippi River Valley and Great Lakes region, the town was home to one of the earliest trading posts and attracted a slew of fur trappers, Native Americans, Christian missionaries and other brave pioneers. Once Minnesota was incorporated into the U.S. territory in the 1850s, Carver was opened to European settlers, who came and claimed much of the valuable land, setting up farms, businesses and even a small hotel, known as the Luksenborg. More and more establishments were erected, and a full-fledged city started to form, complete with an architect, blacksmith, boarding house, general store and even a tailor.
With more and more investments from wealthy individuals, including former governor, Alexander Ramsey, Carver was quickly becoming an important community within the future Twin Cities landscape. As soon as the Great Northern Railroad was introduced in 1871 however, traveling by way of steamboat fell out of favor, and with it, sank the river-town Carver’s chance of being the ideal Minnesota town. Grouped with persistent battles between settlers and Native Americans through the end of the 19th century, and the negative impacts brought on by Prohibition and the Great Depression, the economy ultimately stagnated. Unlike other suburbs that seemed to thrive during the post-war boom, Carver continued to struggle up through the 1960s. The tipping point finally arrived when a great flood affected much of the old, historical portions of the town. As such, a local preservation organization formed in 1969 to renovate, restore and protect the buildings in the town, leading the development of The Carver Historic District, which made its way onto the National Register of Historic Places in the 80s. The suburb of Carver has come a long way, even since then — in 2007, they were officially granted Certified Local Government status, and were even named a Preserve America Community by the White House. A small population of approximately 5,000 still calls Carver home today.
Fun things to do in Carver
There is no shortage of things to do in Carver, MN — just look to some of the following recommendations:
Recreational Areas in Carver
- Not only is the area home to Carver Park Reserve and the larger Three Rivers Parks System, but there’s an additional eight recreational areas located within the town’s borders, including Gazebo, Riverside and Overlook Parks.
- Great for beginners and novice players, check out the rolling hills of Dahlgreen Golf Course, and enjoy a relaxing day on the links.
Restaurants and Bars in Carver
- For a classic burger and fries, taco bar and traditional appetizers, as well as more drinks than you can handle, head to Harvey’s In Carver and soak in the bar-and-grill atmosphere.
- The coldest beer in town is at Lisa’s Place, which also serves up great bar food, and has a nice, green-space patio.
Shopping and Fun things to do in Carver
- Find a unique gift for yourself or that special someone at Temperance Arts and Gifts, featuring mostly handmade items. Since it’s an “occasional shop” you may have to keep an eye out for when you can actually shop its aisles — but you’re sure to find something great when you’re able to!
- Turn up the excitement with a Discovery Flight from Carver’s top flight school, Inflight Pilot Training. This one-hour introductory session gives you the opportunity to take the controls of an airplane and see what it’s like to be a pilot, all under the direction of a certified flight instructor (CFI).
Are you interested in obtaining a private pilot license (PPL)?
Get in touch with our team of professional flight instructors, and we’ll help develop a learning plan tailored to your needs. You’ll feel great knowing that you have the best flight training crew in Carver working with you, every step of the way. Find out what it’s like to take to the skies — contact us today or call (952) 698-3000.