The suburb of Fun things to do in Woodbury is the fastest growing city in Washington County, as well as one of the largest cities in the state of Minnesota. Set against a backdrop of dense suburban neighborhoods and a hefty commerce sector, the town offers plenty of things to do for both residents and tourists alike. Searching for the best things to do in Woodbury? Keep reading to find out more!
Originally belonging to the Dakota Tribe, the first European settlers arrived in Woodbury as early as 1844. Since its early days, an influx of German, Irish, Swiss, and Swedish immigrants have flocked to the town, and contributed heavily to local heritage over the past 200 years. But, Woodbury didn’t see that much residential or commercial expansion in comparison to other suburbs in the area like Minneapolis, St. Paul or Eagan. Up until the 1950s, it mostly remained a small community of wheat and dairy farmers. In fact, the town didn’t even gain its first water and sewer lines until 1961 or their first police officer until 1968. By the mid-70s, there were only 2,500 residents, a few schools, churches and one small shopping center. That small-town outlook didn’t last long. Today, Woodbury is a thriving suburban hub, with a population that has risen from 10,000 in 1980 to 65,000 in 2012, and continues to go up year after year. In other words, the boom continues for this attractive Twin Cities suburb.
Fun things to do in Woodbury
Woodbury is home to many great local parks, restaurants, shopping and entertainment opportunities – take a look at the following recommendations for some ideas on ways to spend a day here:
Parks and Recreation in Woodbury
- Eagle Valley is the area’s premier 72-par golf course, featuring well-manicured greens and challenging holes, as well as a private event space.
- Located on Powers Lake, the eponymous park offers paved trails that follow the shoreline, a fishing pier and canoe launch.
- Explore Carver Lake Park and its many hiking and biking trails, or train for your next triathlon in the unguarded swimming area and dry off on the beach afterward.
- The 16,000-square-foot Madison’s Place Playground includes safe, sun-shaded play decks and is fully handicap accessible for all types of children.
Places to Eat in Woodbury
- Head to Wild Bills Sports Saloon and enjoy a large selection of beer and cocktails, as well as seafood, tacos and other bar grub, plus a Saturday-night DJ.
- Find classic American fare along with a full bar, as well as live music throughout the week at Carmine’s Restaurant off Valley Creek Road.
- Sip on some in-house craft beer and bourbon at Tamarack Tap Room, while choosing from a food menu of locally sourced burgers.
Shops and Fun things to do in Woodbury
- Shop ‘til you drop at Tamarack Village, an 800,000 square foot shopping complex featuring mainstay brands like Home Depot, Men’s Wearhouse, Lane Bryant, JCPenney and Bed Bath & Beyond.
- Take a look at the stores in Woodbury Village for all kinds of shopping, including vendors like Kohl’s, Skechers, Target and Walgreens, as well as a cineplex and quick bites.
- X-Golf Woodbury lets you “golf anywhere” on their simulator equipment. Also, enjoy an outdoor patio, lawn games, restaurant and bar.
- Team with a professional flight instructor on a Discovery Flight and take off in a new hobby or lifestyle. Offered by Woodbury’s premier flight school, Inflight Pilot Training, you get the chance to fly a plane yourself while finding out what it’s like to be a pilot.
Get in touch with Inflight Pilot Training to find out more.
Our team of certified flight instructors can put you on the correct path toward obtaining a pilot license. Whether you’re interested in a Discovery Flight or are ready to sign up for training, we’re here to help. Gain the chance to take flight and experience the lifestyle of a pilot — all it takes is a quick call or note to our team to get started. For additional information on Inflight training programs, contact us today or call (952) 698-3000.