Just minutes from downtown St. Paul sits a stunning suburb known as Maplewood. With its wide variety of amenities — from fantastic dining, shopping and entertainment options to extensive recreational opportunities and beyond — this city is a great place to both live and visit.
The town of Maplewood as we know it today got its start as a small European and French-Canadian settlement almost two centuries ago. Among a landscape of expansive prairies, grasslands, wetlands and lakes, these early pioneers built log cabin homesteads, established farms and planted the roots for an eventual thriving suburb. Developing alongside neighboring suburbs, West St. Paul and Woodbury, the town of Maplewood was eventually incorporated as a city in 1957. A barber shop and grocery store came to town, while police and fire departments slowly formed over the next few years. A two-story city hall was finally erected in 1965, and the town finally had staying power to attract more residents and commercial interests. Maplewood has come a long way since it’s early days, now with a population of about 40,000 residents and the headquarters of major corporations including 3M. Here, you’ll enjoy a nice mix of urban amenities, being so close to St. Paul, and charming suburban neighborhoods.
Things to Do in Maplewood
There are things to do all around Maplewood, MN if you’re willing to look – check out some of the following recommendations for a day of fun:
Eateries and Bars in Maplewood
- Gulden’s Restaurant and Bar offers a wide variety of American fare, from hearty breakfast to steak dinners and everything in between.
- Get locally made cheesesteaks, pizza and other fried delights at Tonos.
- Find a bevy of Japanese dishes at Tokyo Sushi, specializing in hibachi and sushi and offering an all-you-can-eat option.
- Vietnam Star Restaurant is a long-standing establishment for Vietnamese fare in a no-fuss setting.
Parks & Recreation in Maplewood
- Battle Creek Regional Park is a popular recreation area, offering a pool, outdoor pavilion, paved trails and an off-leash dog area.
- Take a jaunt on the loop through Maplewood Nature Center, where you’re bound to see beautiful wildlife among several ponds and beaches.
- Maplewood’s largest park is Keller Regional Park, and features a lake, walkable bridges and picnic areas, all in a heavily wooded setting.
- Catch a glimpse of Lake Phalen at Maplewood’s oldest park, Lookout Park. Enjoy hiking, picnicking or lounging on the green spaces while taking in the picturesque view.
Shopping in Maplewood
- Visit a large high-end car dealership strip, located off Highway 36 and Maplewood Drive, with brands like Porsche, Audi and Lexus.
- Check out the magnificent Maplewood Mall, one of the northwest suburbs’ largest shopping complex, with more than 130 stores, massive food court and a two-level carousel.
- Maplewood Commons is a large collection of big-box stores, local shops, restaurants and other retail locations. Shop stores like Burlington, Marshalls, Plato’s Closet and Michael’s, among others.
Entertainment in Maplewood
- Check out the latest artist and bands at Myth Live, Maplewood’s premier concert venue, featuring performances from some of the music industries biggest names.
- Hit the links at the area’s standard-bearer, Keller Golf Course. Or, if it’s cold outside, head to Midwest Golf Dome and hit year round.
- Team up with the best flight school in Maplewood and fly an airplane under direction of a professional pilot. Inflight Pilot Training offers a Discovery Flights option for those interested in learning what it’s like to become a pilot, where you’ll get to take to the skies and see what the Twin Cities’ suburbs look like from above.
Get in touch with Inflight Pilot Training to find out more. Our team of certified flight instructors can put you on the correct path toward obtaining a pilot license. Whether you’re interested in taking a Discovery Flight or are ready to get started with formal training, we’re here to help. Gain the freedom flying affords you – all it takes is a quick call or note to our team to get started. For additional information on Inflight training programs, contact us today or call (952) 698-3000.