Nestled in the gorgeous southwestern suburbs of Minneapolis, Best Things to do in Hopkins is an attractive city known for its abundant parks, ample dining opportunities, plenty of shopping and tons of entertainment. Whether you live in the city or are just visiting, there are plenty of things to do in Hopkins – lets explore a few ways you can spend your time here.
Hopkins has a long, rich history that started well before Minnesota was even a state. Settlers that migrated to the area strategically chose this location based on Native American trails that allowed movement from Lake Calhoun to the Minnesota River to the territory of Shakopee. From the 1850s to 1870s, the town steadily grew in population as more and more people staked out their claims. As the 1870s came, Hopkins saw its largest pivot toward the thriving, industrious suburb that it is today, with the construction of three major railroads. This brought a large amount of interest from manufacturing industries, including the eventual largest employer in Hennepin County, Minneapolis Threshing Machine Company. Homes, churches, schools and small businesses shops were built to accommodate the many factory workers now employed in the area, and the suburb began to take form. The town continued on its steady path of prosperity through the end of World War II, when the entire nation, including Hopkins, experienced the “boom” years. Population, housing construction, business development and a growing economy increased throughout the Minneapolis suburbs, and by the mid-1950s, much of the surrounding agricultural land had now started its transformation into a big-city landscape.
As of today, the city of Hopkins remains a great place to live, work and visit, located just minutes away from Downtown Minneapolis, as well as suburbs like Minnetonka, Edina and St. Louis Park.
Things to Do in Hopkins
With lots of delightful restaurants, shopping opportunities, recreational areas and entertainment venues, there are things to do throughout the suburb of Hopkins. Check out some of the following highlights:
Restaurants & Bars in Hopkins
- Samba Taste of Brazil: The area’s premier Brazilian restaurant, with traditional fare served in an upbeat atmosphere. Or, craft your own cuisine with a visit to their grocery section.
- Pizza Lucé: One of Minnesota’s most popular pizza chains, serving up tasty, creative pies, hoagies and pasta, plus a full bar—dine in, carry out or delivery available.
- Hoagie’s Family Restaurant: No-fuss breakfast and lunch spot turning out hearty American diner dishes for hearty appetites.
Parks in Hopkins
- Burnes Park: This recreation area includes baseball fields, tennis courts, walking trails and a playground for the little ones. In the summer, cool down at the wet and wacky Splash Pad.
- Downtown Park: This small, active park is in a great urban location and features live music in the summertime.
- Overpass Skatepark: For a different kind of park, check out this skatepark, where you can hit kickers, half pipes and rails under the Highway-169 bypass.
Shopping Opportunities in Hopkins
- The Shoppes at Knollwood: The Western Minneapolis suburbs’ top outlet shopping destination, featuring stores like J. Crew, Banana Republic, DSW, Kohl’s, plus restaurants and beauty salons.
- Retro Wanderlust: Find your special vintage treasure, including furniture, home decor, appliances and more.
Entertainment Things to do in Hopkins
- Hopkins Historic Walking Tour: History buffs, pay attention – this historic walking tour is an extensive, informational experience that lets you see all of the most important sights in Hopkins.
- Oak Ridge Country Club: Highly rated 18-hole golf course, as well as a classy restaurant and bar, in addition to membership amenities.
- Discovery Flights: For something more out of the ordinary, try a Discovery Flight from the area’s premier pilot training school, Inflight. You get the chance to fly a plane yourself under direction of a professional and receive starter-level training on the ins and outs of being a pilot. Plus, you’ll get an unforgettable view of Hopkins from 5,000 feet above.
Get in touch with Inflight Pilot Training to schedule your Discovery Flight. We’ll pair you with one of our certified flight instructors (CFIs) as they help you take the controls and fly a plane. Not only is it a once-in-a-lifetime experience, you get the chance to find out if flight school is right for you. All it takes is a quick call or note to our team to get started. For additional information on Inflight training programs, contact us today or call (952) 698-3000.