As a first-ring suburb of Minneapolis and with its great location along the east bank of the Mississippi River, there are plenty of things to see and Things to do in Columbia Heights. Easy access to urban amenities, attractive neighborhoods, and great mix of restaurants, entertainment options and public parks, among other things, make this city a great place to live, work and visit.
About Columbia Heights
The history of Columbia Heights is intertwined with that of its direct neighbor, Fridley, separating into its own township in 1898. Starting out as just a small, 1,700-acre parcel of land, the group of settlers slowly built-up a thriving community. Roadways, housing, government departments and small businesses began to take shape, growing rapidly through the turn of the century. And in 1921, the village was officially adopted as a city. As the ‘60s rolled around, Columbia Heights constructed an official city hall, beginning a major expansion that lasted well into the next decade. This included making room for an extensive, yet compact, park system with 14 recreational areas packed into a 3.5-mile city radius. Today, Columbia Heights is a thriving suburban center that was the recent recipient of the All-American City Award for outstanding civic engagement. With beautiful neighborhoods and friendly residents, Columbia Heights retains the ideal mix of urban/suburban characteristics.
Things to Do in Columbia Heights
There are things to do around every corner in the suburb of Columbia Heights – take a look at a few of the highlights below:
Restaurants in Columbia Heights
- Sarna’s Classic Grill: This relaxed eatery offers American-style comfort foods and Sunday buffet, a large dine-in area and patio setting.
- Filfillah Middle Eastern Restaurant: Head here for a modern mix of Middle Eastern fare; known for authentic chicken kebabs and lamb shawarma.
- Miller’s Corner Bar: Classic menu of burgers loaded with toppings, along with other bar staples and daily happy hours.
- Asia Chow Mein: Long-time staple since the 1970s, offering traditional Chinese dishes.
- Hangar 45 Pizzeria: This aviation-themed restaurant features thin-crust pies, as well as traditional pub food amongst an eclectic and wide collection of World War II decor.
Recreation in Columbia Heights
- Silverwood Park: Walk the trails along Silver Lake and explore scenic views, extensive forest area, open green space and beach, as well as an art gallery and outdoor amphitheater.
- Kordiak Park: A well-maintained, 29-acre park featuring a waterfall display, picnic areas, walking trails and wildlife spotting.
- Columbia Park: Family-friendly recreational area that is also pet friendly. Take the little ones on the many playground sets, participate in a game of pick-up basketball, toss a round of horse shoes or hit some balls on the driving range.
- Hi-View Park: Enjoy the well-kept pool, playground or picnic area and enjoy your day at this urban retreat.
Shopping in Columbia Heights
- Savers Thrift Store: For those searching for a one-of-a-kind treasure, check out this secondhand store for clothing, household items, vintage finds and more.
- Central Plaza: An outdoor strip mall with an array of unpretentious retail spaces and restaurants, including a pizzeria, ethnic grocery store and quirky discount shops.
- Boutique Boujee: Women’s apparel shop that specializes in dresses, jumpers, swimwear plus wigs and accessories.
Entertainment Things to do in Columbia Heights
- Columbia Golf Club: Perfect your game at this affordable, beginner-friendly course, offering eighteen-hole rounds and a driving range.
- Heights Theater: Catch a show at this historic theater and self-proclaimed “longest continuously operated show house in the Twin Cities.”
- Discovery Flights: Team up with the best flight school in Columbia Heights and take the controls of an airplane yourself under direction of a certified flight instructor (CFI). Inflight Pilot Training offers a Discovery Flight option for those interested in taking to the skies and learning what it’s like to be a pilot.
Get in touch with Inflight Pilot Training to find out more. Our team of certified flight instructors can put you on the correct path toward obtaining a pilot license. Whether you’re interested in our introductory Discovery Flight or are ready to get started with formal training, we’re here to help. Gain the freedom flying affords you – all it takes is a quick call or note to our team to get started. For additional information on Inflight training programs, contact us today or call (952) 698-3000.