Best Fun things to do in St. Cloud Minnesota . As the most populous city in the central region of Minnesota, Things to do in St. Cloud, MN is a great place to both live and visit, thanks to its lively community, thriving commerce sector and extensive public park system. And, since it’s just a short drive from the Twin Cities’ suburbs, there are even more ways to spend your day here. Let’s take a look at some of the best things to do in St. Cloud, MN — here we go!
The history of St. Cloud begins with its location at the intersection of the Sauk River and Mighty Mississippi. Because of its importance in several major trade routes, the town took its place as the seat of Stearns county. A series of treaty negotiations with Native American tribes allowed farming and agriculture to thrive in the area as more and more settlers arrived, and in 1856, the town was officially incorporated. Throughout the later half of the 1800s and the early 1900s, the town grew rapidly as entrepreneurs came to work the land and cash-in on the area’s rich granite quarries that are still mined to this day. Thanks to community infrastructure investments, St. Cloud founded several colleges, a public transportation system and thriving suburban neighborhoods, helping usher in a larger and larger population. Post-WWII brought an even larger boom in population, leading to the construction of thousands and thousands of historic structures by 1955. Throughout the second half of the 20th century, St. Cloud built-up a thriving commerce sector that includes major hospital and college systems, as well as private companies like Coborns and Electrolux Home Products.
As of today, St. Cloud remains the cultural capital of Central Minnesota, with great access to the big-city amenities of the Twin Cities and Northwestern suburbs, as well as the natural beauty of the northern half of the state.
Best Fun things to do
With a ton of fantastic local restaurants, shopping centers, public parks, entertainment venues and beyond, there are plenty of fun things to do in St. Cloud. Here are some things to try:
- Olde Brick House: Jovial Irish hangout with traditional pub fare and libations from the land of Éire.
- Dolsie’s Lunch Box Grille: Hungry for lunch? Check out this ‘good food fast’ restaurant and café serving up burgers, hot dogs, sandwiches and other American classics.
- Coyote Moon Grille Lounge: Grab a quick bite off a menu featuring upscale meat and seafood cuisine, and a bar setting that overlooks Territory Golf Course.
- Bravo Burritos: Classic Mexican spot that specializes in a wide array of burritos and tacos.
- River Bluffs Regional Park: Large, public recreational space, with access to the Mississippi River for aquatic activities, as well as hiking trails and scenic overlooks.
- Clemens Gardens: Walk along brick pathways and explore lush gardens, rose bushes, fountains and natural river scenery.
- Sauk River Regional Park: Situated on a quaint bend of the Sauk River, this park features a number of rugged hiking and biking trails, canoeing and places to view wildlife.
- White Peony Boutique: This trendy spot offers chic, unique clothing and home décor, and offers special sales throughout the year both in-store and through their Facebook page.
- Evelie Blu: A collection of women’s fashion items and creative gifts from both local and nationwide sources.
- Crossroads Center: Check out this shopping mall for standard retail destinations like JCPenny, Scheels Sporting Goods, Target, Macy’s and Homegoods.
Entertainment Things to do
- Stearns History Museum: Learn more about the local history of St. Cloud and the surrounding Stearns County area at this well-maintained, eclectic museum.
- Paramount Center for the Arts: Authentic retro theatre supplying music, plays and other stage performances.
- Discovery Flight: A one-hour introductory course in flight training from Minnesota’s top pilot training company, Inflight. Find out what the view over St. Cloud looks like from 5,000 feet above, while getting the chance to fly a plane yourself under the direction of a certified flight instructor (CFI).
Get in touch with Inflight Pilot Training to find out more about our Discovery Flights.
Our team of certified flight instructors can put you on the correct path toward obtaining a pilot certification. Whether you’re interested in a Discovery Flight or are ready to sign up for formal lessons, we’re here to help. Experience what it’s like to become a pilot – all it takes is a quick call or note to our team to get started. For additional information on Inflight training programs, contact us today or call (952) 698-3000.