Spring Lake Park is a small, active suburb of Minneapolis, offering residents and visitors alike a welcoming suburban feel and plenty of fun things to do around every corner. From endless acres of park land to convenient shopping, fine dining and great entertainment options, there’s more than enough ways to spend a day in Spring Lake Park.
About Spring Lake Park
The fascinating background of Spring Lake Park begins with the unique way in which it was named. The name Spring Lake Park may conjure up images of bodies of freshwater, but it’s roots actually lie in the fact that a broken water main flooded the area between Wood Lake and Osborne Lake. A notable real estate salesman who was scouting the area mistakenly thought this was a natural spring-fed lake, and the rest is history. Throughout most of its history, the area catered to the agricultural and livestock industries, until it was officially recognized as its own village in 1953. By then, the post-WWII suburban boom had helped usher in a larger population of about 1,000 residents. Today the community has grown to almost 7,000 people, and has become well known as an established residential suburb with small town charm and friendly folks.
Things to Do in Spring Lake Park
With lots of unique local restaurants, shopping centers, outdoor areas and more, there are things to do all over Spring Lake Park. Check out some of the following activities you can try in this suburb:
Restaurants in Spring Lake Park
- Guangzhou Restaurant: Simple Chinese eatery serving a familiar menu as well as a daily lunch buffet.
- Blue Sun Soda Shop: Get lost in this classic candy and soda store, with a huge selection of tasty, sugary beverages and treats, as well as an arcade and fireworks.
- Taco Lindo: Classic Mexican fare and made-to-order dishes in a festive atmosphere with outdoor seating.
- The Sunset Grill: Fantastic American food, drinks and year-round fun with a stacked events calendar.
- Torg Brewery: Family-owned, veteran-friendly craft brewery, specializing in European-style beers, lagers and ales.
Recreation in Spring Lake Park
- Parks in Spring Lake Park: there are six public parks in the town, each offering their own unique amenities. The following are some of the most popular:
- Terrace Park: An almost 11-acre park with multiple tennis courts, basketball courts, skate park, sand volleyball and hockey rink in winter.
- Lakeside Lions Park: Located on the north shore of Spring Lake, the town’s largest park features recreational trails, picnic pavilions, playground, softball fields and a fishing dock.
- Riverview Heights Park: Located along the banks of the Mighty Mississippi River, enjoy a walk, go fishing or have a picnic, while taking in the sights of the imposing river valley.
Shopping in Spring Lake Park
- Northtown Mall: Upbeat shopping mall anchored by Hobby Lobby, LA Fitness, Best Buy, Becker Furniture, Burlington and a sprawling food court.
- Once Upon a Child: A chan store that buys and resells gently used items for children, including clothes, shoes, décor and toys.
Entertainment in Spring Lake Park
- Blainbrook Entertainment Center: Load up the family and head to this complex for a night of bowling, arcade games as well as American sports bar.
- Brightwood Golf Course: This unique executive 9-hole golf course is great for both beginners and experts, and a great way to spend a few hours hitting the links.
- Discovery Flights: A one-hour introductory course offered by Inflight Pilot Training, where participants actually get to fly a plane. Not only do you get to experience a day in the life of a pilot, you’ll have an unforgettable view of Spring Lake Park and the rest of the Twin Cities suburbs from above.
Get in touch with Inflight Pilot Training to schedule your Discovery Flight. We’ll pair you with one of our certified flight instructors as they help you take the controls and fly a plane 20,000 feet from above. Not only is it a once-in-a-lifetime experience, you get the chance to find out if flight school is right for you. All it takes is a quick call or note to our team to get started. For additional information on Inflight training programs, contact us today or call (952) 698-3000.