An active suburb of Minneapolis, Golden Valley has something for everyone. From dining options of all varieties, ample entertainment and shopping venues, and recreational opportunities around every corner, there’s no shortage of things to do in this town. Here are a few ways to enjoy your time in Golden Valley, whether you’re a visitor or local.
About Golden Valley, MN
This first-ring western suburb of Minneapolis has a small, tight-knit community of just over 20,000. With such a great location between downtown and Lake Minnetonka, townspeople enjoy access to a great mix of urban, suburban and natural amenities. However, it’s come a long way since it’s official incorporation in 1886. The area stayed mostly farmland and served agricultural industries until the construction of the Electric Luce Line Railroad, directly through the village in the early 1910s. Between the events of World War I and World War II, the town saw its largest increase in population up to that point, growing from 700 to over 2,000. As the ‘50s came, residential development increased even further, until it was large enough to officially become a city in 1972. Since then, Golden Valley has cemented itself as a crucial piece of the overall Twin Cities suburban network, thanks to a diverse set of residents, businesses and government facilities. In fact, the association, Discover St. Louis Park, even designated Golden Valley as “Minnesota’s Sweet Spot.”
Things to Do in Golden Valley
There are fun things to do throughout the city of Golden Valley — take a look at some of the following options for a fun way to spend a day:
Restaurants in Golden Valley
- Nong’s Thai Cuisine: No fuss family-run restaurant with an extensive menu full of classic Asain-inspired dishes and a lunch buffet during the week.
- Schuller’s Tavern: Long-standing neighborhood tavern that serves American grub, happy hours, plus live music and a pool table.
- New Bohemia – Golden Valley: Find German-inspired food and lengthy beer list at this upbeat, communal-setting restaurant.
- Pizza Man: Popular chain for traditional pizzas, appetizers and other quick Italian fare, in a laid-back setting.
Recreation in Golden Valley
- Theodore Wirth Regional Park: A nearly 800-acre park offering year-round activities like golf, mountain biking and cross-country skiing. The grounds also feature a lake, urban forest and chalet-style clubhouse.
- Bassett Creek Disc Golf Course: Test your frisbee skills on this challenging public course offering a good variety of shots in a gorgeous park setting.
- General Mills Research Nature Area: This preserve is full of natural sights and a paved one-mile walking trail through a forested wilderness area.
Shopping in Golden Valley
- Patina: Eclectic mix of gifts for moms, wives, girlfriends, friends, kids and more. Find home décor, clothing, greeting cards, art and candles.
- Empty the Nest: Only open on Saturdays, this thrift store features a ton of vintage and antique finds, from furniture to collectibles and other treasures.
- Down in the Valley: Record store, as well as other music, movies, media and pop culture items for sale.
- Mainstream Boutique: Friendly neighborhood clothing store offering a variety of fashionable brands and styles.
Entertainment in Golden Valley
- Golden Valley Country Club: Well-manicured, membership-only golf course, plus a private events area, dining areas, pool and tennis courts.
- Escape MSP: Popular escape room, offering a fun, challenging, social way to spend a night trying to exit a locked room.
- Discovery Flights: See the town of Golden Valley and the rest of the Twin Cities from above – Discovery Flights from nearby flight school, Inflight Pilot Training, give you the chance to take the controls of an airplane under direction of a certified flight instructor (CFI). Great views and a first-hand experience of what it’s like to be a certified pilot.
Get in touch with Inflight Pilot Training to find out more about our Discovery Flights. Our team of certified flight instructors can put you on the correct path toward obtaining a pilot license. Whether you’re interested in a Discovery Flight or are ready to sign up for training, we’re here to help. Gain the power to take flight and experience a new way to travel — all it takes is a quick call or note to our team to get started. For additional information on Inflight training programs, contact us today or call (952) 698-3000.