Located just off the northeast shore of White Bear Lake, the city of Dellwood is a great place to both live and visit. With a number of family-friendly ways to spend an afternoon, from its acres of park space to its mix of explorable suburban-rural neighborhoods, you’re sure to enjoy your time here. There are a ton of fun things to do in this small, active, affluent St. Paul Suburb — keep reading to find an activity that piques your interest.
The history of Dellwood is wrapped up with that of neighboring St. Paul and White Bear Lake. Although the town wasn’t officially minted until 1993, the area has a rich background, with early settlers led by James M. Goodhue, editor of the Minnesota Pioneer, immigrating in the 1850s. In two decades, the area would see another influx of new citizens thanks to the Stillwater & St. Paul Railroad, which made the area much more accessible. Throughout the last half of the 19th and early part of the 20th century, the area gained a reputation as a natural retreat from the urban grind of the Twin Cities. Another fun fact about the city is that it was once home to a few famous names, including former governor, Jesse Ventura, Miracle on Ice hockey coach, Herb Brooks, and F. Scott Fitzgerald. The latter of whom spent the summer of 1922 in White Bear Lake, the year in which The Great Gatsby was set; in a sense, there’s speculation the book was conceived and even based on the town of Dellwood.
Today, the area is known as an upscale part of the Twin Cities, and in 2019, the suburb nabbed the title of wealthiest suburb in Minnesota. With that, let’s take a look at some of the many things to do in Deephaven.
Things to Do in Dellwood
With a small commercial district and several gorgeous neighborhoods, there are things to do all over Dellwood. Take a look at some of the highlights of this northeast suburb below:
Food & Beverage in Dellwood
- 7 Vines Vineyard: An upscale vineyard and private event venue offering wine tasting, tours, club memberships and gifts.
- Gordy’s Steakhouse: Upscale haunt serving up classic American steak, seafood, pasta and full bar.
- Red Luna Taco Factory: Serving up fresh, hot hispanic-inspired dishes. Fish tacos are made-to-order and come highly recommended.
Recreation in Dellwood
- White Bear Lake: This 2,400+ acre lake offers clear water for aquatic activities, beaches scattered around the lake, and several public boat launches. Boaters can fish or catch some rays on the lake’s many sand bars.
- White Bear Yacht Club: Membership at this exclusive yacht club will get you access to amenities like world-class golfing, tennis courts, sailing, pool and dining.
- Mahtomedi Beach: Community park and beach comprised of one acre on the eastern shore of White Bear Lake. Panoramic views, sandy beach, open green space and recreational trails for those looking for a natural retreat.
Shopping in Dellwood
- The Farmer’s Daughter: Gift shop selling fun, unique farm-style gifts and décor, as well as self-service soups and dips.
- Truly: Find something unique, from handmade soaps and candles to beautiful jewelry, clothing and other gifts.
- Primp: High-end women’s wear of all types, fashionable collections including dresses, sweaters, shoes and accessories.
Entertainment in Dellwood
- Pine Tree Apple Orchard: This seasonal apple orchard sells locally grown fruits in the summer, as well as a corn maze, pumpkin patch and bakery in the fall.
- Dellwood Country Club: Golf course for members and guests that’s relaxing and enjoyable for beginners and challenging for advanced golfers.
- Discovery Flights: The premier flight training company near Dellwood is Inflight Pilot Training. See the Twin Cities from above on a Discovery Flight, where participants actually get to fly a plane themselves under direction of a certified flight instructor (CFI).
Get in touch with Inflight Pilot Training to find out more. Our team of certified flight instructors can put you on the correct path toward obtaining a pilot license. Whether you’re interested in a Discovery Flight or are ready to sign up for training, we’re here to help. Gain the power to take flight and experience a new way to travel — all it takes is a quick call or note to our team to get started. For additional information on Inflight training programs, contact us today or call (952) 698-3000.