Although it’s grown to become one of the most prosperous suburbs of southwest Minneapolis, the quiet town of Chanhassen retains a sense of small-town charm. Thanks to the many ways to eat, explore and play, it’s a fantastic place to both live and visit. From many parks and recreation trails to plenty of dining and entertainment options and beyond, there are plenty of things to do in Chanhassen.
Occupying areas within both Hennepin and Carver counties, Chanhassen remained farmland up until the 1960s, when the population exploded thanks to business development and improvements to the downtown area. One of those businesses, the 600-seat Chanhassen Dinner Theater, opened in 1968 to wild success; today the theatres attract annual audiences of more than 300,000, as well as theater professionals from all over the world. With redevelopment efforts in the 1970s, more people and businesses began migrating to Chanhassen, leading to the creation of a 500-acre park system, more than 500 businesses and a friendly community of over 22,000 people. Since then, the town has enjoyed top rankings as one of the safest and happiest cities in the country.
Things to Do in Chanhassen
There are things to do around every corner in the Twin Cities suburb of Chanhassen — take a look at some of the best options below:
Restaurants in Chanhassen
- Kai’s Sushi & Grill: Check out this restaurant for some of the best Japanese fare in the area, including modern sushi, hibachi-grill dishes and much more.
- Houlihan’s: A popular chain, perfect for a relaxing after-work drink or nice dinner with the family, with a menu featuring pub food, pasta and classic steaks.
- Axel’s Restaurant Chanhassen: Grab a delicious slab of charcoal-grilled meat or seafood, as well as an extensive wine list in a lodge-style setting.
- Jungle Kitchen: This laid-back storefront eatery doles out dishes that fuse Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese and Cambodian.
Recreation in Chanhassen
- Lake Ann Park: There are plenty of water recreation options at this lakeside park with picnic sites, recreation trails and sports fields.
- Rice Marsh Lake Park: Take a trip here for fun children’s playgrounds, a baseball field, basketball courts as well as a walkable/bikeable lake-side trail.
- Bandimere Heights Park: Although disc golf is the main attraction at this park, the abundant amount of open space–four acres worth–gives you room to stretch out how you please.
Shopping in Chanhassen
- B. 78: Chanhassen is known for its many boutiques, one of the top being B. 78, a women’s clothing and lifestyle shop selling everything from apparel to homegoods to apothecaries and more.
- Mainstream Boutique of Chanhassen: This locally owned and operated boutique offers fashionable items with a positive message behind every transaction — the love and celebration of women.
- Lotus Lakes Gift Shop: While there aren’t as many gift shops around the Twin Cities these days, Lotus Lakes remains strong, thanks to an amazing selection of gifts and decor.
Entertainment in Chanhassen
- Chanhassen Dinner Theatre: Opened by the founders of the Old Log Theatre in neighboring Chaska, Chanhassen Dinner Theatre has grown to become one of the original and most popular restaurant/entertainment venues in Minnesota and the country. Guests can purchase tickets to cabaret shows and enjoy a menu full of classic American meals.
- Discovery Flights: The best flight school in Chanhassen, MN is Inflight Pilot Training, offering one-hour introductory courses where participants actually get to fly a plane themselves. Flying over Chanhassen and the rest of the Western Minneapolis suburbs is something you’ll remember for the rest of your life and is a thrilling way to spend an afternoon. Plus, the hour counts toward your overall flight requirements toward a pilot’s license, should you decide to continue onto flight school.
Get in touch with Inflight Pilot Training to find out more. Our team of certified flight instructors can put you on the correct path toward obtaining a pilot license. Whether you’re interested in a Discovery Flight or are ready to sign up for training, we’re here to help. Gain the power to take flight and experience a new way to travel — all it takes is a quick call or note to our team to get started. For additional information on Inflight training programs, contact us today or call (952) 698-3000.