Richfield, nestled in the southwest side of Minneapolis, is one of the area’s up-and-coming suburbs. With recent improvements to main hubs and infrastructure, a growing business community, dozens of parks and rising property values, this sleepy suburb is a great place to both live and visit. Let’s explore some of the great things you can do in Richfield – here we go!
As its name implies, the city of Richfield wasn’t always known as the popular first-ring suburb of Minneapolis that it is today. Rather, the town started out as sprawling farmland, with a smaller population of 10,000 until 1939 and the end of World War II. As returning veterans moved in, the town boomed over the next two decades, increasing by 32,000 residents. With many area improvements over the years, including highway reforms and the 66th Street revitalization project, it’s become an attractive community for all types of people.
Although it’s on the edge of a sprawling urban metro, the town retains a sense of small-town charm. And, it’s close proximity to the Minneapolis/St. Paul International Airport, Mall of America and downtown Minneapolis, there are plenty of ways to enjoy the town, whether you live here or are just visiting.
Things to Do in Richfield
With many shopping hubs, entertainment options, extra-large parks and delicious dining, there’s no shortage of things to do in Richfield, MN. Take a look at some of the better options below:
Restaurants in Richfield
- Sandy’s Tavern: Locally popular joint with a “homey” feeling — it’s a fun house-turned-restaurant style establishment, and the atmosphere is almost as impressive as their specialty burgers.
- Fireside Foundry: Another Richfield favorite, family-owned Fireside Pizza, serving up much more than pies. Plus, a full bar, happy hour and outdoor seating area.
- Flynn’s Diner: Nostalgic 50s joint serving up diner-inspired and Chicago-style dishes, and an outdoor patio.
- Aida: Mediterranain-style fare with both dine-in and walk-up options.
- Andale Taqueria: Fresh Hispanic food at a fair price, try their tacos, burritos, tamales and other Mexican dishes in a counter-serve fashion. While you’re there, browse the market for some fresh produce.
Recreation in Richfield
- Woodlake Nature Center: This 150-acre preserve is one of Richfield’s two biggest recreational areas. With beautiful prairie and marshland, birdwatching opportunities, as well as a three-mile path, it’s a great spot for connecting with nature.
- Richfield Lake: This small yet beautiful lake is the perfect place for a picnic, stroll or bike ride along the path. Catch a performance at the bandshell located right off its shores.
- Veterans Park: Another large Richfield park, with paved and unpaved bike and walking trails, along with a sports complex, pool and lake.
Shopping in Richfield
- Arc’s Value Village: Consistently considered one of the top thrift stores in the Greater Twin Cities, you’re sure to find a treasure to take home.
- Shops At Lyndale: A large complex, with everything you need to scratch your itch to shop, including Best Buy, Golf Galaxy, Burlington Coat Factory, REI, several dining establishments and a liquor store.
Entertainment in Richfield
- Richfield Museum: Learn about local history and see artifacts from bygone eras of Richfield. Great for kids and adults alike, the museum is located in the Riley Bartholomew house built in 1852.
- Discovery Flights: Thanks to its close proximity to Flying Cloud Airport, you can spend the day experiencing the thrill of a Discovery Flight. Provided by Inflight Pilot Training, you get the chance to go for a ride in an airplane and actually fly it yourself. Partnered with a top flight officer, who coaches you throughout, you see first-hand what it’s like to be a pilot. And, whether or not flight training is something you want to pursue in the future, you’ll gain an unforgettable memory seeing Richfield and the entire Twin Cities from above.
Get in touch with Inflight Pilot Training. We’ll help you take flight. Whether it’s something you’ve always dreamt of or a growing interest, we can help you understand the benefits of learning to fly. Our team of certified flight instructors give you the power to be your own pilot and travel on your own terms — all it takes is a quick call or note to Inflight to get started. For additional information on our training programs, contact us today or call (952) 698-3000.